Pages

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Thoughtful Tuesday ~ Are you a square peg?

Many of you may know that my family relocated a little less than a year ago. At first I was upset, I mean who wouldn't be, leaving a place you called home for over 11 years. But then, I had such a peace about it. A peace I can't explain except to say that while my world was being turned upside down, I knew that everything would be OK. God had it covered.

Now, He didn't reveal to me exactly why we were coming up here to the Falls, but as we've been here almost 9 months, He has been slowly revealing to me our purpose here...and it's a multi-faceted purpose! Bear with me as I try to explain a little bit of what He's been revealing to me.

The place we left (which consequently is only 150 miles from here) is a very 'religious' town. That is in the good and the bad sense of the word. God has been (and is still continuing to) lifting the 'religious spirit' that has had a hold of that city for many years. And what is left is God...and true relationship with Him. That is an absolutely wonderful thing for my family. Here in the Falls however, God doesn't really have center stage. As a matter of fact, there are times when I wonder if He's even been cast in the play.

Sure, there are churches, but many of them are dead and still others are just there for the 'box checkers' to do their thing. I have some wonderful friends here who love the Lord with their whole hearts and He directs their life. But, other than this handful of people, God doesn't seem to be a factor in many people's lives...except maybe on Sunday. And this truly hurts my heart.

One day last week, while driving my girls to school, it hit me. This town is all about outward appearances. Does it look good? is the motivation for most things. People have ridiculously large homes with beautifully landscaped yards, but do they have love? Do they have True love from Christ? Some, yes. But I would venture to say about 75% don't.

Before you think I'm just bashing this town, let me explain. In 1 Samuel 16, God instructs Samuel to go out and find one of Jesse's sons to anoint to be the next king. God's king. Jesse had 8 sons. Samuel saw the first, Eliab, and thought for sure he was the one. But it goes on to say in verse 7, "But the Lord said to Samuel, 'Don’t judge by his appearance or height, for I have rejected him. The Lord doesn’t see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.' "

I don't know about you, but when God looks at my heart, I want Him to be pleased. In order to achieve this, God is showing me how to live a righteous life in the midst of a godless city. To be that proverbial square peg in a round hole. To not care if I get strange looks while doing nice things for people. To not conform to the ways of the world. To stand out...and do it proudly! I am also to teach my girls to do this. I think, thus far, we have been successful...at least with my Big Girl. I think over the course of the next few years, my Angel will pick up on this. I just pray she doesn't get sucked into the world while trying to learn the lesson.

So, basically, He wants us to learn (through life experience) how to continue to be square in this round world...and to not let the things of this world round our edges.

I'm willing...

Are you?

Think about it...

No comments: