Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Thoughtful Tuesday ~ Focus

The girls and I do a devotional every morning before school. I love this time that we have together to dig into God's word. And I love the thought provoking, practical subjects and questions in our current devo series. This morning's title was God Is Always There. You know, sometimes I need a reminder of the simple things.

Often times, the girls will ask questions pertaining to (or not) the subject. Somehow our conversation veered off track. No worries though! I don't mind when we have 'unplanned' conversations about things that matter. Anyhow, we managed to begin talking about the things we focus on. When you go through trials, it is very easy to focus on the 'facts' of the situation. When really and truly, we should focus on the 'Truth' of every situation . . . Jesus.

Think about it this way. There are positives and negatives in every day, every decision, every everything! That's something we cannot choose. What we can choose is how we react. What things we focus on. If I were to focus on the fact that we aren't millionaires, we have debt up to our eyeballs, I haven't bought 'new' clothes in forever, most of my furniture is old and falling apart, I'm hundreds of miles away from all of my blood relatives . . . and so on, (you get the picture) I'm fairly certain that I would walk around moping like my dog just died. Instead, I choose to focus on the blessings in my life. I know that sounds really cliche, but . . . I focus on the fact that I'm alive and healthy, I have a wonderful husband who loves me (even though I don't deserve it), I have two fabulous girls who bless me daily, we have a roof over our heads . . . in a safe neighborhood, we have been blessed with two fabulous church families, and well, I could go on for days, but I'm sure you'd be bored in about 5 minutes, so I'll stop.

You see, most often you will find me with a smile on my face. Not because I have a perfect life, but because I am content with the life I live. I don't focus on the blah of my life, but the blessings!

Think about it . . .

I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. Philippians 4:12

No comments: