Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Foodie Friday ~ Sandwich Bread

I am trying to rely less and less on the grocery store for things that I can make at home. Like bread. Especially since they just shut down the Mrs. Baird's Thrift Store here in town. That is where I would buy my bread several loaves at a time and freeze them. When you can get a loaf of name brand (good) bread cheaper than the store brand, why wouldn't you? My hubby isn't happy about them closing the store because that's his favorite bread...and the only way it's gonna make it into this house...LOL!

Anyhow, I've been wanting to try to make my own sandwich bread for a while now. I've dabbled in baking rolls and specialty breads, but not every day sandwich bread...until this week that is. I pretty much followed this recipe. The Frugal Girl is a veteran baker, so I fully trust her recipes! I subbed some of the white flour with wheat flour and it turned out pretty good! I think my yeast is getting old, but I really don't want to throw out half a jar, so I'm trying to use it up. :)

We had grilled cheese sandwiches made with this bread for dinner on Tuesday and the whole family liked it! I will definitely continue to play with the recipe to find the way my family prefers. Hope you guys enjoy! And don't forget to check out The Frugal Girl...she has tons of great recipes and lots of other great tips!!

Not bad for my first try! It's tasty!

He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time. 2 Timothy 1:9

No comments: