Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

Breakfast Muffins

Last night I decided that I was hungry for something a little sweet. If I were to make an entire cake, it would have been gone by the end of the week...consumed mainly by me. Not good when you are trying to eat healthier and lose weight. I searched for a healthy muffin recipe...we are out of cereal in the house, and I just found out this morning...and proceeded to make a batch. This is the recipe that I based my muffins on...modified of course. Here's what I ended up making.


Golden raisin muffins


1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (original called for 1 cup each)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
3 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1 egg
Here's where I started modifying
1/3 cup applesauce (I used one of the single serve applesauce containers)(original called for oil)
1/4 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup golden raisins (any dried fruit would work here)


Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix wet ingredients in a smaller bowl. Combine the wet and dry just until incorporated. Don't over mix or they will turn out hard. Add any additional ingredients. Scoop into greased or lined muffin pan. Bake 20-25 minutes at 400˚.


The family really enjoyed them. There are so many different things you can do with a basic muffin recipe! I think I will be playing around and finding other things my family likes...it will definitely reduce my girls' sugar consumption for breakfast! I'll post any other yummy combinations I discover.


Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Philippians 4:4

No comments: