Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Thursday Thankfulness ~ Routine and Interruptions

Sometimes I wish I could be a 'fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants' type of person, but alas, I am not. I am a person who thrives on a routine. This is mostly a good thing, but can at times be a not so good thing. For example:

1. Incorporating new things into my routine can be hard. I have, at many points in my life, attempted to add things (like Bible reading) into my routine and FAILED . . . miserably. Why is this so hard? Well, I guess I just don't like change. It takes much discipline and diligence to add something new. I must be intentional. I must rely on God to show me those things that need to be added, and those things that need to be removed . . . and then I must lean on Him to help me. That, for me, is hard. I don't like needing anything, or anyone. I'm working on this in myself. Good thing God doesn't give up on me as easily as I do.

2. When my routine is interrupted, I get grumpy. Yeah, I said it, grumpy. Just ask my kids, it's true. For someone who likes structure and dislikes change, interruptions (like, oh I don't know, 5 snow days!) really don't sit well with me! I find it hard to stop worrying about my routine and just enjoy the company of the people I love. I know, shocking! This is another area in my life that God has really been working on me. He intentionally interrupts me to see how I will handle things. Will I not freak out and let Him direct my steps? (maybe after a little foot stomping)

He is constantly guiding me on this path He has placed me on. He is always fixing those little imperfections in me to make me more like Him. While it's not always enjoyable, it's welcome. I am grateful for the discomfort of the pruning process . . . it lets me know that He hasn't given up on me yet.

Thanks God . . .

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing. 1 Corinthians 13:1-3

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1 - I LOVE the new layout! Super cute!

2 - I understand completely. I used to be a fly by the seat of my pants but since hurt children thrive on routine I've had to adopt one and changing it is like pulling teeth!