Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Thursday Thankfulness ~ Spiritual Family

I have a pretty fantastic family. My Mom is one of my best friends ever! She and I had a pretty good relationship growing up even, and for that I am grateful. I have some awesome siblings, too! I know that any of them would do just about anything for me and my family. (and I the same for them) This list could continue on forever, because like I said, I have a fantastic family.

I'm sure you've heard the saying, "Blood is thicker than water," right? In most cases I 100% agree with this. But you have to stop and think. What about those 'non-conventional' families out there that don't have children born from their own bodies? Do those parents love their children less just because they didn't birth them? Absolutely NOT!! I have several friends (and even family) who are/were foster/adoptive parents. And I know for a fact that they adore their children as much as I adore mine. They would go to the same extremes that I would to protect their children.

Now, that being said, what about our spiritual family? Is that not the same kind of situation as an adoptive parent/child/sibling situation? Are we not adopted into God's family when we make Jesus Lord of our lives? Yes. So, that makes all believers, you and I, brothers and sisters . . . by adoption.

Ok, so we have a pretty huge family . . . LOL! Do I love my natural family more than my brothers and sisters in Christ? I don't know, I can't really answer that. There have been some situations in my life where my biological family was right there by my side all the way until the end. There have been some situations where my spiritual family has been right there. God has given me these 2 fantastic families and I am so grateful for them both!

At this point in my life, I am not physically close to my natural family. I live about 700 miles away from them and I miss them more than I can even describe. I am so incredibly grateful that God has sent some great sisters in my life while I am away from my own. They lift me up in prayer, laugh with me, cry with me, celebrate with me, learn with me, grow with me . . . all those things that a sister is meant to do.

Sometimes I take these sisterhoods for granted. Sometimes I forget how important they are to my life, my Christian walk, my sanity and my testimony. But God, as usual, reminded me how important these relationships are . . . and that in those, He is right there in the middle.

Thanks God...

For this is the message you heard from the beginning: We should love one another. 1 John 3:11

No comments: