Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

Monday Meditations ~ How much was your debt?

The Bible says in Romans 3:23 that we've all sinned. Yep, all of us. Me, you, your pastor, your most admired person. . .every one of us. If you have taken that leap of faith, as I have, to make Jesus Savior and Lord of your life, those sins are forgiven. Isn't that great!?!


I could end this post here, but what fun would that be? Ok, so we've all sinned and if we chose Jesus, we've been forgiven. So, what's the problem? Why are there so many Christians running around with that 'holier than thou' mentality? My theory? They got comfortable. Yes, comfortable. . .with their faith. Humor me for a minute, would ya?


Think back to that day when you first accepted Christ. Do you remember how you felt? I know for some of us it can be difficult to remember, because it was so long ago. But try. . .try to remember how you felt. Wasn't it amazing? I know it was for me. I was 24 when I began to follow Christ. I had lived in the world quite a bit. So, I had a lot to let go of. . .a lot to place at the foot of the cross. The burden that was lifted from me was tremendous, and I was certainly grateful. As time passes, we can sometimes begin to forget all those things that were forgiven. It's just like any other relationship. We get comfortable and can sometimes take for granted all that has been done for us. We begin to expect the grace and mercy that God shows us.


One of the things I pray on a regular basis, is that I never get so comfortable with my relationship with Christ that I forget where He found me and brought me from. The Word says that (paraphrased) we overcome by the blood of the Lamb and the word of our testimony. (Revelation 12:11) I think that is so we won't forget where He brought us from. I mean, think about it. How difficult is it to forget about your testimony when you are sharing it all the time? Hello!?!


Yesterday during worship at church, I was overwhelmed with gratitude. God, ever so gently, reminded me of all those things He forgave me of. The big things, the small things, all of them. Not that I can really forget, but it's kinda nice to be reminded how much He loves me.


It's like that story of the woman with the alabaster box of oil found in Luke 7. Jesus goes over to a Pharisee's for dinner. This 'immoral woman' breaks into the dinner and sits at Jesus' feet and begins to weep. She washes Jesus' feet with her tears and dries them with her hair. Then she pours out expensive oil on his feet. Now this is pretty significant because in Jesus' time they walked around in sandals. There weren't any paved roads or sewer systems. . .so you can imagine the filth that was on His feet. The Pharisees He's dining with kinda freak out that Jesus is letting this 'immoral woman' touch Him. So Jesus decided to tell them a little story. He asks them if there were someone with a $500 debt and someone with a $50 debt, and both debts were forgiven, which one would be more grateful. Well, duh. The $500 debtor of course, right?


Here's the thing. Your $50 debt may be a $500 debt to someone else and vice versa. So don't judge. When you see that 'fanatic' jumping around during worship, don't scoff. You don't know what God has forgiven them of. Don't judge other people's sins against yours. . .or anyone else's for that matter. The only One we should compare to is Jesus. Are we living like Jesus? Focus on yourself instead of others. How much was your debt? And how grateful are you that it was forgiven?


Here's a song that is just amazing in depicting this story. Take a listen and let me know what you think. I'm eager to read your comments!




Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.” Then Jesus said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.” Luke 7:47-48

1 comment:

Semalee said...

Great post and great reminders! It's a hard thing to remember, that ALL have fallen short of the Glory of God, and that sin is sin is sin is sin. Mine is no less sin than yours..... Thanks :)

Semalee @ Nailing Jello to a Tree