Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Thursday Thankfulness ~ Justice

I've been reading this week in Jeremiah and I must say that this may be my favorite book I've read so far. I haven't read them all, but I'm working on it.


The prophecies of Jeremiah really show the heart of Father God. This book shows that God truly loves His children, Israel. It shows that He is dedicated. You see, He loved them enough to remove them from captivity in Egypt and bring them to the Promised Land. No matter how poorly Israel treated Him, God loved them. He loved them enough to discipline them when they did wrong . . . and boy did they ever do wrong. In the progression of the Old Testament, you see how poorly Israel treated God. You see just how many second chances He gave them. You also see that He is just. You see here in Jeremiah, that after so many second chances, God realizes He must discipline His beloved children.


I can also see the love He shows them after the discipline. Kinda like the hug after the spanking. At the end of Jeremiah 32, you see God's justice and His love. In verses 26-35 you see that He must, for the sake of Israel, discipline them . . . give them over to the Babylonians. For their sake? Yes. For all you parents out there, think about when your child does something wrong that requires you to discipline them. You don't want to, but you know you have to . . . for their sake. It's the same here. But when you discipline your children, you do it with love. You may remove a privilege from them or spank them, but you make sure they know that you love them still. That's exactly what God does here. In verses 36-44 God tells Jeremiah that He will once again restore Israel.


This is the same way that He feels about you and I today. He loves us, but must discipline us when we sin. But thankfully we have Jesus to help keep us in relationship with God. What about those who don't have Jesus? It hurts my heart to know that for some it may just take God pouring out His wrath on the Earth before they realize their sins and turn from them. It hurts my heart even more to know that some will have hearts so hard that no matter what happens, they will never choose to repent and turn to God. For them, it will be like the Israelites. He gave them so many second chances but still had to discipline them. And in that discipline, some of them perished without the hope of Heaven.


Therefore, I will not stop sharing this love that I have with others. Those I know who don't know God. Those I love whom I don't want to see go to hell. Those I don't know . . . whoever God tells me to share with. It is our responsibility as believers to share with everyone we encounter, the love that God has shown us. I dare you to . . . see how it changes you.


Thanks God . . .

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Philippians 4:8

No comments: